Founded by engineer George M. Pfundt
in 1936, GMP started operationsin a downtown Philadelphia building as
a specialty machine shop doing work for the local Bell Telephone company
and for the electric utility company. GMP expanded to a production shop
after landing a contract with Western Electric Company and, subsequently, forming
a close relationship with Bell Telephone Laboratories in Murray Hill,
N.J., which enabled it to manufacture prototypes of products for experimental
use within the Bell System.
Product ApplicationsGMP product applications include the placement of copper conductor, coaxial and fiber optic cable both aerially and underground. Accepted as industry standards are the GMP aerial cable lashing machines, Adams® continuous duty winches and fiber optic cable pullers. Our line of 600 products also includes cable reels and rollers, cable cutters, unique modular plug pressing tools and other specially-designed tools for the data and telecommunications market.
Premium Cable Lashing MachinesGMP is perhaps best known for its line of premium quality cable lashing machines, sometimes called simply "lashers" or "spinners", that wind stainless steel wire around telephone, power, and multi-media cable, thereby securing or "lashing" it to the supporting messenger strand between poles. In the 1940's, the company pioneered the modern automatic lashing machine with Bell Telephone Laboratories, establishing the telephone industry standard in lashing technology. Since then, GMP has produced over 30,000 lashing machines. Some that were manufactured in the 1950's are still at work today. Four lashing machine models make up the company's current product line, which covers every type and size of cable.
The Adams® Continuous Duty WinchesThe Adams Continuous Duty Winches are another of GMP's most recognizable lines. The first Adams winch was conceived in the 1950's through the combined efforts of engineer Frank Adams and, once again, the Bell Telephone Laboratories. The resulting winch specifications became the accepted standard within the North American telephone industry. In 1973, GMP acquired ownership of the Adams Engineering winch designs, and has continued to add practical design enhancements to the Adams Winch product line.
Our FacilitiesGMP's 100,000-square-foot manufacturing plant in Trevose is equipped with a full complement of technologically advanced machine tools manned by a well-trained team of craftspeople. Our own engineering staff conduct research & development of GMP's products using computer aided design, a prototype fabrication shop and an on-site testing facility. GMP's quality management system for design, manufacturing, repair and service of its products is compliant with ISO-9001 standards.
Our FutureGMP continues to make investments in new product R&D, state-of-the-art manufacturing, quality assurance, distribution and inventory-control techniques, and physical plant, in order to maintain its manufacturing leadership position and its continuing ability to anticipate and meet the changing needs of work crews in the field who rely on the ruggedness, practicality, and safety of GMP equipment. As our quality policy statement affirms: "GMP supplies defect-free products and services, on time, which meet its customers' expectations."
From Street Road (Route 132): Turn North onto Old Lincoln Highway and go 500 feet to the GMP entrance on the right (East side across from Faulkner Auto Dealership).
From I-95: Exit at the Street Road (Route 132) ramp. Follow Street Road west approximately 4 miles to the traffic light intersection at Old Lincoln Highway. Turn right onto Old Lincoln Highway. Go 500 feet to the GMP entrance on the right (East side across from Faulkner Auto Dealership).
Click [HERE] for an area map.
General Machine Products Co. 3111 Old Lincoln Highway Trevose, PA 19053-4996 USA
Tel: +1.215.357.5500 Fax: +1.215.357.6216 Email: info@GMPtools.com
© 2011 General Machine Products Co., Inc